Each property in Creston belongs to a specific zone - or in some cases a property can be split into multiple zones. Development and redevelopment in these zones must conform to the specific regulations for that zone outlined in the Zoning Bylaw. To check the zoning of your property view the Zoning Map. To learn about permitted uses and other zone requirements view Zoning Bylaw No. 1958, 2022.

Development Variance Permits

If your development plans do not meet the zoning requirements such as setbacks or height restrictions, you may submit a Development Variance Permit Application in order to vary the section of the zoning bylaw that your proposal does not conform to. A Development Variance Permit cannot change the permitted uses or density of the zone. Council considers Development Variance Permit Applications on a case-by-case basis, and will consider the feedback of neighbouring property owners.

Zoning Amendments

If your planned development does not conform to the permitted uses or density requirements listed for your zone, you will need to complete a Zoning Amendment Application to change the zoning of the property to a zone where your proposed use is permitted, or to add your proposed use to the list of permitted uses in your current zone. Zoning Amendment Applications are considered by Council, following an extensive public process, on a case-by-case basis. For a more in-depth look at the rezoning process view the Rezoning Brochure.

Council cannot approve a zoning amendment that contradicts the Land Use Designations of our Official Community Plan No. 1854, 2017 (OCP). If a development is not in conformance with both the Zoning Bylaw and the OCP, a combined Official Community Plan & Zoning Amendment Application must be submitted.