Building Permits

Building permits are required for new construction and many addition and renovation projects as well. A permit is also required for the demolition of buildings and structures.

You will need a Building or Plumbing Permit when you wish to:

  • Construct a new home
  • Construct a new accessory building such as a carport, garage or storage shed
  • Construct a farm building
  • Construct a temporary building
  • Renovate existing buildings
  • Undertake any structural work such as interior partitions
  • Decks having a difference in elevation to grade exceeding 2 feet
  • Enclose a porch or roof over a sundeck
  • Construct a retaining wall retaining more than 5 feet of soil
  • Move a building
  • Locate a manufactured home, modular home or other engineered structure as required by the BC Building Code
  • Construct an addition
  • Install a pool (re: fencing requirements)
  • Demolish a building or structure
  • Change the use or occupancy of a building
  • Renovate your dwelling to create a secondary suite
  • Install a fire alarm system
  • Install commercial kitchen ventilation equipment
  • Install a new drainage or water piping system in any building
  • Alter or remodel a plumbing system
  • Install a fire suppression system

For building renovation and demolition of any pre-1991 structure, a pre-renovation/demolition hazardous materials survey (assessment) should be performed in accordance with OHS Regulation 20.112. Click here to view the WorkSafeBC bulletin regarding asbestos in demolition.

Click here for information regarding disposal of building demolition material at the RDCK landfill sites.

View Building Permit Application Form.

View Checklist A  - (Required for Single Family Dwellings, Additions, Renovations, Secondary Suites, Single Family Dwellings with Secondary Suites)

View Checklist B  - (Required for Manufactured/Mobile Homes, Accessory Buildings)

View Checklist C  - (Required for Multi-Family Dwellings, Commercial, Industrial, and Institutional development)

View Checklist D - Pool Permit

View Checklist E - Shipping Container Permit

View Sample Site Plan

View Building Advisory 1 Secondary Suites 

Contact Us

  1. Brandon Vigne

    Manager of Building & Bylaw Services

    Town of Creston
    238 - 10th Avenue North
    PO Box 1339
    Creston, BC, V0B 1G0

    P: 250-428-2214, ext. 431
    F: 250-428-9164


    Monday - Friday
    (excluding Statutory Holidays)
    9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 pm