Yard Waste Basics
- Yard waste is collected three times a year once in the spring and twice in the fall by the Public Works crew.
- All Yard Waste must be placed in rigid, weather-proof containers or Kraft paper bags for collection. Each Yard Waste container/ bag can weigh up to 50 lbs (23 kg). Kraft paper bags are available at local retailers. Plastic bags are not permitted and will not be picked up.
- Materials will be accepted in unlimited quantities, provided each container or bag does not weigh more than 50lbs (23 kg).
- Branches and prunings longer than 100cm (39”) must be cut into 1 meter lengths and tied in manageable bundles.
- Branches and prunings longer that 100cm (39”) will not be accepted. Branches wider than 15cm (6") will not be accepted.
When is Yard Waste Collected?
Subject to changes due to weather, yard waste collection can be expected as follows:
- Spring: the week immediately following the Easter long weekend.
- Fall pickup #1: the week immediately following the Thanksgiving long weekend.
- Fall pickup #2: the full week immediately following Remembrance Day.
Where can yard waste be disposed of?
Sullivan Stone - Yard and garden waste is accepted at Sullivan Stone - 501 Helen Street. Accepted materials are leaves, grass clippings and plants – NO branches or wood products.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm.
RDCK Landfill - Yard waste can also be taken to the RDCK Landfill (1501 Mallory Road) at any time during their normal operating hours. Yard waste taken to the landfill will be charged at the going rate for ‘Yard and Garden Waste’. Rates may be amended from time to time by the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK). During the months of April and October (only) the Creston Landfill accepts Yard & Garden Waste for FREE. This practice is subject to the conditions placed upon it by the Regional District of Central Kootenay.