Subdivision & Stratification Proposals

Subdivision is the legal mechanism used to create new, titled parcels of land and to adjust existing property lines.

Privately owned land in B.C. is registered under the Torrens Land Title Registration System. In general, land can’t be subdivided without registering the changes with the Land Title Office. In almost all cases, the Land Title Office will not register a subdivision without the signature of an Approving Officer on the subdivision plan.

If your subdivision proposal complies with current zoning regulations, you can submit an application to the Town’s Subdivision Approving Officer. If your subdivision proposal doesn’t comply with current zoning regulations, you may need to also make a rezoning application.

Provincial Government

There’s a wide range of provincial and local government legislation and regulations that are taken into consideration when assessing subdivision applications, including, but not limited to: